Fenner Nature Preschool is a State of Michigan licensed, nature-based preschool program managed by Fenner Conservancy, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. The program makes use of child-directed learning in both indoor and outdoor settings with a provocation-based curriculum inspired by Reggio Emilia.
The FNP Assistant Teacher is responsible for direct instruction of students and support of lead teachers. The Assistant Teacher is an integral member of the teaching team when it comes to the wellbeing and development of our students. This position is for the school year; however temporary summer positions may be available in the Fenner Nature Preschool Summer Camp program.
This position is an hourly position based on need and can expect to work 20-25 hours weekly. Position reports to the Fenner Nature Preschool Lead Teacher.
This position is Hourly, non-exempt with a base rate of $10.50-14.50/hour
Duties & Responsibilities
Planning and Directing (5%)
● Assist the teaching team in implementing and evaluating center programs in alignment with licensing, mission and vision of the organization, and best practices outlined by the Natural Start Alliance and NAEYC standards.
● Participate in recruitment efforts for enrolling new families, including open houses and outreach events.
Teaching and Evaluating (90%)
● Deliver high quality, child directed curriculum to FNP students in conjunction with lead teachers.
● Work with parents and families as the ‘first teachers’ of students.
● Support lead teachers in ongoing developmental assessments for students in alignment with curriculum.
● Be responsible for the health, safety, and welfare of all children in the group.
Classroom and Facilities (5%)
● Conduct daily classroom and facility upkeep to maintain hygienic environment.
● Conduct daily inspections of outdoor play areas for hazards.
● Build and maintain positive working relationships with staff, trustees, and volunteers.
● Project a professional image internally and externally.
● Participate in other Fenner Nature Center functions as appropriate.
● Attend training sessions for blood borne pathogens, CPR, 1st Aid, and other professional development opportunities as appropriate.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Experience in Early Childhood or Elementary Education
● 21 years of age or older
● Additional experience in environmental education or related fields preferred
● Demonstrated strength in leading outdoor activities
● Demonstrated understanding of principles and techniques of early childhood education and developmentally appropriate practices as well as the ability to implement that knowledge
● A demonstrated knowledge about the natural world or a willingness to acquire knowledge about the natural world
● Experience with Reggio Emilia teaching preferred
● Excellent communication skills. Able to effectively and comfortably communicate with parents and peers
● Criminal history background check and Central Registry Clearance will be required
● Valid driver’s license and personal transportation required for periodic errands
Environmental Conditions of Position:
● The majority of the work associated with this position will occur in the outdoor learning environment.
Mission, Vision & Beliefs:
Mission: Connect the early learners of Lansing to nature through exploration, play, and discovery.
Vision & Values: At Fenner Nature Preschool, children are respected and treated as capable and competent individuals who learn through play. Families are seen as a child’s first teacher and are valued as partners. Teachers serve as advocates for the success of both children and their families. We value being interconnected within our community and both our indoor and outdoor environments serve as the third teacher.