Starting Pay Rate: Unpaid internship
Schedule: 15-25 hours per week depending on availability, some evening and weekend work may be required. THIS POSITION WILL RUN MAY 15-AUGUST 18, 2023.
Essential Position Functions:
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Environmental Education Intern will undertake the following responsibilities:
Programmatic & Administrative (95%)
- Development and delivery of environmental education programs for schools, homeschool groups, camps, and other clients (including alignment with curriculum standards)
- Develop and deliver public programs that cover a wide range of environmental topics
- Lead and/or participate in service learning projects with volunteers of all ages and abilities
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
- This position description does not include all tasks that may be completed in this position. Duties may be added, removed, or modified at any time.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- At least one (1) year of college-level course work with a 3.0 GPA. Courses in Primary study areas could include education, recreation, interpretation, environmental science, or biology.
- Previous experience communicating and interacting with children and adults, both individually and in a group setting preferred.
- Fenner Conservancy reserves the right to utilize equivalencies where deemed appropriate with regard to education and experience requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
- Knowledge of general ecology.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of group communication.
- Skill in facilitating groups of children, adults, and families in an outdoor setting.
- Ability to develop promotional materials and interpretive displays.
- Ability to develop interpretive programming.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively teach the public about environmental topics.
- Ability to proactively identify tasks that need to be accomplished and work independently to ensure their completion.
Physical Capacity Requirements:
This position requires the ability to walk, speak, hear, lift and carry, finger dexterity, and visual acuity. It also requires the ability to lift 10 pounds with occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, if necessary, for individuals with disabilities who can perform the essential job functions of the assignment.
Environmental Conditions of Position:
The work associated with this position will occur in both the office environment and the outdoor environment in all kinds of weather and in uneven terrain.