Naturalists are our front lines when it comes to connecting our community to nature. Naturalists lead place-based environmental educational programming for school and scout groups, and the general public, helping us to meet our mission of connecting our community to nature through conservation, education, and stewardship. Pick-up naturalists work on an as needed basis, with primary availability needed on weekday mornings, evenings, and weekends.
Starting Pay Rate: $10.25 per hour
Schedule: 8-20+ hours per week, depending on need; weekend and morning work is expected, as well as occasional evenings.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- At least one (1) year of college-level course work in biology, natural history, earth science, elementary education, or related fields preferred.
- Previous experience communicating and interacting with children and adults individually and in a group setting.
- Competency in office management techniques and the utilization of technological applications such as, word processing, spreadsheet and database software, creation of marketing and communications materials, records management, and program processing.
- The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate their experience and competence in oral and written communication, and will be familiar with Michigan plants, animals, and their ecology.
- Fenner Conservancy reserves the right to utilize equivalencies where deemed appropriate with regard to education and experience requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
- Knowledge of general ecology.
- Knowledge of outdoor skills such as camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, and other similar topics.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of group communication.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and policies.
- Skill in the use of office management software and applications.
- Skill in the use of various pieces of office equipment.
- Skill in facilitating groups of children, adults, and families in an outdoor setting.
- Ability to develop promotional materials and interpretive displays.
- Ability to develop interpretive programming and link to educational standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively teach the public about environmental topics.
- Ability to proactively identify tasks that need to be accomplished and work independently to ensure their completion.
Physical Capacity Requirements: This position requires the ability to walk, speak, hear, lift, carry, finger dexterity, and visual acuity. It also requires the ability to lift 10 pounds with occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, if necessary, for individuals with disabilities who can perform the essential job functions of the assignment.
Environmental Conditions of Position: The work associated with this position will occur in both the office environment and the outdoor environment in all kinds of weather and in uneven terrain.
Essential Position Functions: Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Naturalist will undertake the following responsibilities:
- Development and delivery of environmental education programs for schools, home school groups, and other clients (including alignment with curriculum standards)
- Lead interpretive tours, family programs, scout badges, evening campfire programs, and rare overnight camping experiences that cover a wide range of environmental topics
- Lead and/or participate in service learning projects with volunteers of all ages and abilities
- Assist with special events
- Light janitorial, clerical and office duties, including scheduling and registration/fee collection for programs and facility rentals at Fenner Nature Center
- Opening, staffing, and closing the Nature Center, as well as various types of computer work
- Assist in the development of promotional and communications materials.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of interpretive displays.
- Provide assistance to the public in person, on the phone, and via the internet
- Maintenance of live animal displays and bird feeding areas
Other Duties as Assigned (5%):
- This position description does not include all tasks that may be completed in this position. Duties may be added, removed, or modified at any time.